請各位先登陸 (studentID,Moodle 密碼登陸),後編輯
請各位使用左方之工具列上的上載文件連結上載習作相關的相片

Chan suggests try new waste reduction scheme at local estates

出自香港新聞網 - 樹仁新傳系學生實習習作

跳轉到: 導航, 搜尋

(Your report is generally good with detailed information and comprehensive story telling. You should explain a little more why it is difficult to carry out the domestic disposal scheme in Hong Kong as compare to Taipei or Seoul and why the distribution of garbage bags to households is a problem.)

y But Wing Yi | Tuesday, 21st January, 2014

Hong Kong


Bernard Chan suggested trials of pursuing waste reduction scheme in different local estates, in order to know resources allocation, accommodations and problems when implementing the real plan smoothly.


Chan, chairman of The Council for Sustainable Development, claimed the majority of Hong Kong people abide by reducing waste for sure. But how to achieve waste reduction from origin and how to maintain garbage sorting in long run is still in phase of negotiation.


“In Hong Kong, 48% of waste can be recycled, while the other 52% will be sent to landfills,” he mentioned, “The volume of landfills in Hong Kong are equivalent to four fully-filled standard swimming pools at Olympic Games.”


Chan asserted waste reduction from origin is a must, since the existing landfills will be saturated, while reuse of incinerators seems impossible in Hong Kong.


He also denoted the plan will be unpopular, as it will affect all local residents, even though many people have realized the importance of waste reduction and recycling.


“We planned to charge every household for their garbage volume, but it is difficult to carry out such plan in reality,” said Chan.


Waste reduction from origin refers to reducing domestic waste at household level so as to lower pace of saturating local landfills. Sorting garbage into aluminum cans, plastics and papers is included in the plan.


Other suggestions are raised in seminars held by Chan, including setting a dumpster at every community at particular time and place, or charge every household according to the weight or volume of their garbage.


“It seems more feasible to charge each household whose garbage volume exceeds the quota, but distribution of the plastic bags to all residents is another problem,” he said.


Source of waste in Hong Kong can mainly divided into domestic waste, as well as industrial and commercial waste. Chan believed industrial and commercial waste are easier to handle since cleaning companies are available to help; while domestic waste are difficult in monitoring, in terms of sorting and charging.


“Waste reduction from origin, including the monitoring job aim not preventing people disobey rules or escaping from levy, but educating people the importance of waste reduction and recycling,” said Chan.

個人工具